Ombudsperson Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with Trust Administrator for the operation of the ADR program
- Coordinate with the employers and/or insurance carriers for the notification of each injury
- Provide injured workers with an explanation of workers’ compensation benefits utilizing the pamphlets “Facts for Injured Workers” published by the Trust.
- Function as a neutral third party in the role of facilitator for the industrially injured worker
- Coordinate with the Trust Administrator, employers, insurance carriers, and union representatives in providing the Ombudsperson services
- Schedule mediation and / or arbitration under Labor Code 3201.5 and 3201.7 when issues cannot be resolved at the ombudsperson level, including:
- Arrange location for mediation or arbitration;
- Schedule mediator or arbitrator from panel;
- Send notices to all parties regarding mediation/ arbitration as appropriate;
- Attend all mediation and arbitration sessions, to ensure the ADR procedures are followed properly and to advise the participants as to such procedures.
- Assist the Trust Administrator in the collection and maintenance of data related to the ADR program and statistics required for the Yearly State Report on ADR
- Prepare routine correspondence to employees and mediators / arbitrators regarding proceedings on the ADR procedures
- Advocate for the ADR process to promote the speedy resolution of issues
Barbara Shogren Lies
Experience Ombudsperson for Labor Code 3201.5 and 3201.7 since 2001 Worked with both labor-management trusts and owner controlled insurance projects to expedite delivery of workers’ compensation benefits and to resolve disputes without litigation. Fluent in English and Spanish
- Eastside Reservoir Project, Winchester, CA Ombudsperson since August 2001
- Inland Feeder Project, San Bernardino, CA Ombudsperson from August 2001 to May 2002
- Southern California District Council of Laborers, El Monte, CA Ombudsperson since August 2001
- Operating Engineers Trust Fund, Pasadena, CA Ombudsperson since August 2001
- San Diego County Water Authority, San Diego CA Ombudsperson from March 2003 to April 2010
- Bay Area Union Roofing Contractors Workers’ Compensation Trust Fund, Walnut Creek, CA Ombudsperson since January 2004
- Union Roofing Contractors Association, Orange, CA Ombudsperson since April 2004
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center – Seismic Safety Project, Santa Clara, CA Ombudsperson since March 2010
- SEIU 1877 – Ross Pike Memorial Worker’s Compensation Trust, Monrovia, CA Ombudsperson since March 2010
- Private Sector Vocational Counselor since 1983 Counseling the industrially injured with the goal of returning them to suitable gainful employment. Duties include vocational testing, interviewing, labor market surveys, placement, and the development of appropriate rehabilitation plans. Counseling experience includes work with high school students, developmentally disabled adults, psychiatric disabilities, drug and alcohol abuse counseling, and vocational counseling. Areas of expertise include monolingual Spanish speaking clients, low functioning individuals, head trauma, hand injuries, and long term unemployed disabled returning to the labor market. I have served as an Agreed Vocational Evaluator (AVE) and as an Independent Vocational Evaluator (IVE) for the Rehabilitation Unit.
- High School Guidance Counselor, Leilehua High School, Wahiawa, Hawaii, 1982 – 1983 Counseled 400 students, grades, 9-12. Duties included personal and career counseling, educational testing, crisis intervention, and supervision of school activities. Taught high school Algebra in summer school.
- Manager, Lunchline, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1980 – 1981 Managed food service job training program for handicapped and developmentaly disabled adults.
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Colombia, 1975 – 1979
- M.A. Psychology – Counseling/Guidance, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado
- B.S. Home Economics – Vocational Education and Social Welfare, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- C.R.C. – Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (C-23559)
- Rehabilitation Counselor Certification – U.S. Department of Labor (#13-189)
- N.C.C. – National Certified Counselor (8190)
- Teaching Credential – Home Economics, State of California, K-Adult Education
- Pupil Personnel Services, State of California, K-Adult Education
- Certificate of Specialization – Worker’s Compensation, University of California
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, (LPC 370)
- International Ombudsman Association
- International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals
- American Association for Counseling and Development