Resources for Injured Employees

Federal, State, County, Union and Employer Resources for Injured Employees

County Programs and Benefits

CalWorks – California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids

  • Cash aid limited to 60 months per lifetime
  • Adults must accept any legal job, unless otherwise exempted
  • Recipients must participate in an initial 4-week period of job search
  • Assistance finding child care services
  • Money to pay for childcare
  • Money for transportation

Eligibility Requirements

  • Reside in CA and intend to stay
  • U.S. citizen or lawful immigrant
  • Have a social security number or have applied for one
  • Meet monthly income requirements, depends on family size
  • Proof of immunizations and school attendance of school age children

CalFresh Program – Food Stamps

  • Household gross income cannot exceed Federal poverty level
  • U.S. citizen or meet eligibility requirements for non-citizens
  • Injured employees may qualify after temporary disability benefits end, if not returning to regular job

Contact Information

Imperial County  •  (760) 337-6800
Kern County  •  (661) 631-6000
Orange County  •  (866) 613-3777
Riverside County  •  (951) 358-3400
Santa Barbara County  •  (805) 661-4401
San Bernardino County •  (909) 388-0245
San Diego County  •  (866) 262-9881
San Luis Obispo County  •  (805) 781-1600
Ventura County  •  (800) 339-9597

California State Benefits

Injured employees may qualify for State Disability Insurance (SDI) benefits once TTD ends if they are unable to return to their regular work and are under the care and treatment of a licensed doctor.

SDI Hotline: (800) 480-3287 and website:

Federal Benefits

  • Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
  • Provides benefits to people who are unable to achieve gainful employment due to a permanent disabling condition.
  • Condition must last longer than 12 months and prevent the person from earning more than $1000.00 per month.
  • Applicant must have at least 40 social security credits, at least 20 of them earned in the 10 years prior to the onset of disability.
  • A workers’ compensation injury does not automatically qualify a person for SSDI. The person has to be precluded from all work.
  • SSDI process requires a five month waiting period Once a person is found eligible for SSDI, he or she qualifies for MediCare. Coverage starts two years after the onset of disability.

Social Security website:

Union Benefits

  • Most unions are able to freeze the health and welfare benefits for up to six months while the union member is disabled.
  • The union member must request the freeze on health and welfare benefits. Some unions permit reduced dues while the member is disabled.
  • If a member is unlikely to be able to return to his or her regular job, a pension evaluation can be requested.
  • A person who qualifies for SSDI may also qualify for a disability pension.

Contact your Union Health and Welfare or Pension office for your specific questions.

Employer Benefits

  • Employers may continue medical benefits under FMLA if the employee meets certain conditions.
  • Employees may be able to continue their health insurance through COBRA.

Contact your employer regarding your specific situation.

Workers’ Compensation Benefits

  • Medical treatment to cure or relieve from the effects of the injury is provided at no cost to the employee.
  • Temporary Total Disability (TTD) paid while the employee is unable to work for more than three days.
  • TTD is based on two thirds of average weekly wage, with a maximum weekly benefit of $986.69. Maximum of 104 weeks of TTD.
  • Permanent disability (PD) is paid for permanent impairment.
  • Mileage paid at the rate of 55.5 cents per mile after July 1, 2011.

Contact your claims adjuster for questions about your specific case.


Translate »